Monday, October 12, 2015

A Quick Post About Swedish Language Resources (and a shameless plug of some recent travel pics!)

I thought I would write a quick post to link up useful websites and share other information I've used to help advance my Swedish language skills.  This will be an evolving post; I'll add more as I come by it.

I first started learning Swedish in 2005 when I had my first relationship with a Swede.  He taught me little phrases here and there, and eventually I bought the Teach Yourself books & CDs package (see #4 on the list below).  Teach Yourself was MUCH cheaper than Rosetta Stone, and seemed just as comprehensive (but a casual disclaimer that I have never tried Rosetta Stone).

When I broke up with the first Swede and wanted to continue learning, I started using LiveMocha.com which was really good for basic learning (see #5 on the list below).  But then I began to want a real penpal to have natural conversation with.  I plugged a name into Facebook, pulled up a list, sent a message to someone who showed up on the list, and 5.5 years later we are engaged!*

*These results are not common...but this is, of course, an entirely true story;D

In any event, over the years (especially the last 2) I have really focused on my language skills, and these are some useful websites and tips about learning Swedish that I have used in obtaining fluency.  Please feel free to comment if you have other suggestions!

  1. THIS BOOK
    1. I'm not even kidding; it is the quickest read, and the best grammar book on Swedish I have come across. It spells everything out clearly and simply, and helps you build a fantastic (and non-overwhelming) foundation of Swedish grammar. 
  2. Digitala Spåret
    • Website:
    • What it has:  
      • Everything! Language lessons galore - vocab, grammar studies, listening tests, picture tests... plus resources to news sites, lexicons, etc.
    • Notes
      • Basically the first and foremost best resource I have found online.  It has varying degrees of difficulty, and I have particularly found the spoken lessons to be of most use.  They don't speak slowly, but rather at a normal pace, which has really forced me to get a grip on my listening skills (where I struggle the most)
  3. SVT (Sveriges Television)
    • Website
    • What it has
      • Audiovisual galore! TV and programs streaming online.
    • Notes
      • Your content will be limited if you reside outside of Sweden and/or the EU, but there is still plenty of content.  Navigate to the Barnkanalen page; I started with Pipi Långstrump (put the subtitles on so you can follow along! "Textning på"), and now I love shows like Extreme ögonlick, Guds tre flickor and Dubbelliv :)
      • You can also download the app on your phone and listen to Aktuellt or Rapport during your commute to help train your ears to decipher words.
      • You can watch a lot of restricted SVT shows in full on YouTube. They won't have subtitles, but it's all good!
  4. 8Sidor
    • Website:
    • What it has:
      • Easy reader Swedish news, with an electronic voice that reads the news to you and highlights each word as it goes.  Very good starter's resource.
  5. Teach Yourself Swedish (books and CDs)
    1. Website:
      1. On Amazon here: Click here to be redirected to the Amazon listing
    2. What it has:
      1. A very good Beginners-to-Intermediate book with exercises, language lessons, and a solid listening component
  6. LiveMocha
    1. Website:
      1. http://livemocha.com/
    2. What it has:
      1. Awesome introductory courses (and courses for purchase) that have lessons, speaking, and writing exercises.  You can record your speaking exercises, and the LiveMocha community of native Swedish speakers can help correct and encourage you!  If you don't want to pay for courses, you can help correct and encourage people learning your native language, and you will earn points to unlock more courses for the language(s) you are learning.
  7. Websites I have not fully tried yet, but are definitely on my radar - and most are free!:
    1. Duolingo (an AWESOME program!).  Website: https://www.duolingo.com/
    2. 101 Languages - Swedish.  Website: http://www.101languages.net/swedish
    3. "Say It In Swedish".  Website:  https://www.sayitinswedish.com/
    4. Björn Engdahl's Swedish Course.  Website: http://www.onlineswedish.com/main.php
  8. Other tips
    1. Speak and write your Swedish as often as possible.  Force the Swedes in your life to speak Swedish with you (if you are a native English speaker, this will be difficult, as most will want to practice their English on you instead!)
    2. Find a penpal if you can!  If Facebook is too personal, jump onto InterPals.net!
    3. Get your hands on Swedish children's books (you can order them online) and/or download any of the countless apps to help develop your language.  I was using Skolböcker for a while.
    4. Use google translate to translate some of your favorite hobbies (fishing, camping, skiing, etc) or your work profession/activities.  Then google the Swedish word until you happen upon a blog all about whatever it is you are interested in or the field you work in, written in Swedish.  This has a dual benefit of being about something you are interested in, while developing your vocabulary in a useful way (use Google Translate to help you through the text!)
    5. Watch mainstream Swedish movies in Swedish.  The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo series -- the original versions, in Swedish! -- are all on Hulu and streaming with a subscription.
    6. Shop at Swedish food stores to get an idea of traditional foods with imported labeling.
    7. IKEA.  Haha.
    8. Spotify is awesome.  If you are into music, you can look up some Swedish artists and help develop your audio/listening skills by listening to musicians singing in the language.  I personally love hip hop, but it isn't for everyone.  Fronda, Afasi & Filthy, Ison & Fille, Ken Ring, Maskinen, Familjen, I could go on and on.... but also some lovelier artists like Tomas Ledin, Kent (omg, their song Utan Dina Andetag is my faaaavorite) and Melissa Horn are great as well!
    9. .....more to come!
And now.... a shameless plug of some of Johan and my most recent travel photos from when he visited me over the last couple weeks!

Trying Korean liquor (Soju?) for the first time

Just another indescribable trip up to Big Sur...

Road tripping!

No idea where we were, or where we were going; completely and utterly blissfully unaware :)
Redwoods!

.....???

6 comments:

  1. Hey Megan, I love 8Sidor! It's very cool! Funny thing is when I told my bf about this site, he said "may be it's for those visually impaired people?" I was like "Is it? ... Wait a sec! Then what are the highlights for? They can't see anyways." lol

    There is also a book for the beginners of beginners, which is really good except for the fact that I found all its content is freely available on line after I paid money and bought the actual book... Here is the link for it. http://www.goethe-verlag.com/book2/EM/EMSV/EMSV002.HTM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is awesome, thank you for sharing that link!

      As for 8sidor... hahaha! I kind of always just assumed it was designed for people with all handicaps. Visual, audio, mental.... it kind of is a smörgåsbord of no-brainer swedish news :D :D :D

      Delete
  2. This is fantastic, thank you! I did the entire duolingo course and otherwise try to read websites in Swedish. There are very frustrating times but I can recognize how I've progressed, slowly. Time to hit the grammar books for a bit again to consolidate what I know.

    Embarrasingly, I also became obsessed with the Frozen songs in Swedish! I know the lyrics to the main ones now. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely fantastic but I think he must have picked the smallest redwood in the bunch! I currently live in the redwoods and I showed sambo's father one of them with a friend of mine standing in front of it... it was bigger than that one. Nothing more amusing than hearing "oh shit" from someone that doesn't speak English.. *giggles*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha I know, right?? We actually didn't really make it to the "real" redwoods in Big Sur. I think we just found an upcrop of juvenile ones in our hike. Can't wait to go back and visit and find the real thing!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete