Tuesday, October 6, 2015

The Swedish Sambo Visa in 2015 Part 6a: The Monthly Update of Processing Times On Migrationsverket

EDIT (25 October 2015):  Please note that any screen shots or references to wait times are as of the date this post was written (6 October 2015).  Wait times have since been updated several times.  In order to have the most recent time frames in mind, please reference Migrationsverket's website HERE for the most recent processing times.

Not much to update really on our case.  We learned our case is being handled in the Umeå office, for whatever that's worth - no discernible news online whether that's a good or bad thing.  The silence can be maddening at times, but at other times it becomes easy to melt into day-to-day life.

Johan has been here with me for the past week and a half.  We've done a few days in LA, a 7-day road trip through central California to Monterey and back, and now we are going to head to San Diego.  I just need him to wake up ;)

But while we were in San Luis Obispo I had logged onto a thread on The Local where a poster had indicated that Migrationsverket had updated the permit processing wait times ("Handläggningstider") on their website.  It struck me as odd because, previously, MV only updated these wait times every 3-4 months.  And just one month ago, they had updated the wait times with a 1-month increase in processing time (a screen shot of that can be seen at the bottom of my Sambo Visa Part 2 blog post).

At the time of the update one month ago, many of us felt it was promising news that the wait times had only increased by 1 month given the refugee circus that is ongoing.

So, to hear that wait times had been updated only one month later, was disconcerting.  I hopped over to the Handläggningstider site of Migrationsverket to see what all the fuss was about:


I will not lie: I broke down a little when I saw this.  Granted, I was exhausted from being on the road and this was not welcomed news.... but still.  I cried for about 15 solid minutes.

I lamented that we were clearly not in the "within 6 months" category - which is now better-defined as people who need priority due to pregnancy, kids who are unaccompanied minors, parents of a Swedish child, EU citizens, or people who did not fulfill the basic requirements and received an early rejection. We have always known we were not in this category, but it did definitely mean we were one of the 65% that were doomed for one of the two remaining, largely increased categories.

I lamented that only 20% of all applicants were in the middle 6-12 months category -- which we have been told we are (or should be) a part of.  And back in April 2015 (just 5 months ago), this category suggested wait times would be 4-9 months.

And then I lamented that nearly HALF of all total applicants are in the 12-20 months processing bucket. Nearly TWO YEARS

I have been so used to assuming Johan and I (and everyone else in a similar position as us, for that matter), were in the longest wait time bucket, because it seemed to be taking a year to process everyone's application anyway, and not the 4-9 months for the middle category (as it was then quoted to us back in April 2015).  We have no clue whether these wait times apply to everyone, or just people who are applying today, but I don't think the answer to that question would have consoled me, anyway; when we applied back in January, all the website said was: "Processing times are averaging 14 months".

I cried.

It's more than just missing my person. It's more than just being totally and completely OVER having a relationship with a computer screen.  It's more than just the endless struggle of arranging our daily schedules so we have at least 1 hour of quality phone time, given our 9-hour time difference and work schedules.  It's more than just the exhausting task of keeping a healthy and growing relationship from 6,000 miles of distance under so much stress, and a general incapacity to make big life decisions together while I still have yet to move....

...it's the feeling of being hopelessly stuck in the vice grip of bureaucracy, and having to just blindly accept it. It's the feeling of having a complete lack of peace due to being in life-limbo; stuck between two places that both claim to be "home", but neither is. It's knowing that I turn 32 next week, and that I am already at odds for infertility because of some previous surgeries I've had to have, and watching precious time slowly drip by.

But, now I am just complaining. #businessasusual

In any event, Johan talked me off the ledge and brought up some good points:
  1. Clearly, based off of the more in-depth descriptions of each processing category, we are definitely in the middle bucket.
  2. The reason only 20% of applicants are in the middle category may be because most partners from developed non-EU countries, who otherwise have clear-cut cases, usually do not move to Sweden; the Swede usually is the one who defects for the [warmer?] location of their partner.
  3. Others in our circumstance have received their decision within 12-13 months, which finally seems to be more closely "on cue" with the updated wait times, and we have already accepted a possible 14 months wait, so this shouldn't derail us from our original plan anyway.
Migrationsverket's website has stated now that they will be updating wait times each month, given the great influx of refugees with little-to-no hope that they will decrease in numbers.  This is both terrifying (we just know the wait times will get worse and worse), and also comforting (that Sweden would at least acknowledge those of us in limbo who have been waiting and waiting for our own turn).

On October 17, Johan and I will mark our 9-month Applicationversary.  It was a date I had once looked forward to as meaning we were closing in on the end, but now I don't think I can really celebrate until January 17, when we reach our 1-year Applicationversary.

Regardless, I sit here and watch him sleep, and at least for right now in this moment, we are together at long last. <3
Outside of Andrew Molera State Park in Big Sur, California - 2 October 2015

12 comments:

  1. I usually get angry when people try to comfort me by telling me that their stories are worse. But... I am definitely in a worse situation here. My bf is a permanent resident, not native swede; and I am a foreigner in the US whose visa will expire soon. We applied in March and I haven't been contacted for interview whatsoever... I wish you all the good luck! I feel so hopeless, too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey ZZ! If I may ask, where is your home country of origin? Did Migrationsverket allow you to apply from the U.S., or did you have to go home to your home country/country of origin in order to apply?

      The fact that your partner is a permanent resident and not a native does not affect your application, so that is some good news! As long as he is a permanent resident, he qualifies to allow you to come in on a sambo visa. I do agree though, that your current situation sounds rough given your US visa is set to expire soon. Can you renew it? And it is very strange that you haven't received an email to do your interview yet. We received ours in about 4.5 months, but usually it's 4-6 months... Have you contacted MV yet about when you might receive the invite? Have you checked your email spam folders, even??

      Delete
    2. I'm from China! Yes, I could apply from the US. But I'm not sure if it's possible to switch interview location. It's a tough decision now as I'm not quite sure if I should stay in the US or go back to China as ... I feel like it's weird to stay just for the sake of waiting for that interview. Because I don't have a long term committed career plan here in the US, it's gonna be challenging for me to stay in the US. Everything is so fuzzy for my situation now. I just hope this phase could pass asap. I'm afraid that I might have missed the email or something but it's not very likely. I'm very deliberate with emails. But I'm gonna make my bf call the MV and double check. Everybody is saying there is nothing you can do... I don't know if it's a Swedish thing. There must be something that can be done! May not be something direct or immediate, but I feel this process is so ridiculous and it so needs some improvement. Sigh~ : )

      Delete
    3. Oomph, ya I don't disagree with you. This situation sounds really tough. I'm actually surprised they allowed you to apply from the united states given you were there on a visa and not as a permanent resident or citizen. Usually they make you apply from either your home country, or the country where you have permanent legal residence (to avoid this exact situation, if I understand correctly). Are you in the US on a work or school visa? If it's a school visa, is there any way you could extend your studies so that there is at least some sort of marginal benefit to staying in the states?

      Whatever you do, DEFINITELY call MV and figure out whether or not you have received an interview invitation yet, and ask them for advice in your situation. They will be vague (as always) in their response, but at least it's something. You could also email them (that way you have the benefit of having their response in writing). Of course, there is absolutely nothing any of us can do to push our application through, but I do find it a bit strange that you applied in March and still have yet to receive the interview invitation. Those of us who applied in January and February pretty much all received interview invitations within approximately the same amount of time. I can't imagine wait times for the interview have increased so very dramatically? Then again.... who knows... :/

      Delete
    4. This is so discouraging. We found out the same '20 month' scenario just this week. It made me cry as well. 20 months? Averaging 14 months? Sigh, sigh, sigh.

      Delete
    5. I've been through a lot of challenges in my life, and this process has definitely been one of the hardest. 14 months used to be our drop-dead worst case scenario back in Jan/Feb/Mar. We used to say to each other, "At least we know our decision won't be any later than Spring 2016". Now it feels more like spring is our best case scenario :/ It's hard to stay positive some days...

      On another note, however, MV updated their processing times on Friday and didn't lengthen the processing times at all, so I guess that should be a bit of good news for us all!

      Delete
    6. It's really terrible!! Same happens to me... And I'm not trying to get you scared but, my partner and I applied on November 4th, 2014... And it's so sad we haven't received any email saying they have made a decision!! :( I just can't believe they're taking so long... 13 months and counting... We really hoped we could be together by the end of this year. It's so frustrating, tiring and stressing!! And It doesn't matter if you called MV, they don't say anything at all! At least they could say something positive to keep you up.. On the contrary, they just say they're having a hard time with the refugees situation... Which makes me feel like they don't care about our application! I'm really hoping this will end soon! They have really made me run out of patience... :'(

      Delete
    7. Don't worry, Unknown; you can't scare me... I have embraced resignation to the wait and (at least for the past 6 weeks) it has not bothered me :) MV Has told several of us who applied in January 2015 to expect a decision by around 16-17 months. It is what it is. For you, however, they are already getting to be around halfway through processing October 2014 applications it seems, so your decision should be coming up so so soon!! May I ask when you did your interview, and from what country you applied? I would like to add you to our case tracker, if you don't mind :) (The link to that, is here: http://hejaherrljunga.blogspot.com/2015/11/the-swedish-sambo-visa-in-2015-part-7b.html)

      I think the one major thing keeping me afloat right now is being able to celebrate other people's decisions. It's like seeing the blip of a lighthouse while lost at sea in a fog bank. I can't wait to hear when you get your decision! :) :) :)

      Delete
  2. This situation sounds so horrid, and the not knowing must be the worst. I guess you can't even cross the days off on a calendar because you don't have an exact date. Keep your chin up and know that while it might be a while before it is over, the wait will eventually be done and you will be together.

    Jeannette Lewis @ WelcomePack Canada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeannette! Thank you so much for your kind words. (And sorry for having not responded... I try to respond to every comment left here!) What you say is so true; it's so important for us to keep our eyes fixed on the "bigger picture" - and to realize that there IS a light at the end of the tunnel. This WILL one day pass. This wait is like a black hole; it wants to suck you into despair and keep you focusing on the gruelingly slow passage of time. It takes so much energy and an iron will to keep our chins up -- but it is totally possible, and does make the wait much more bearable!

      Delete
  3. I applied for my visa in June 2015. I feel your pain. My bf is a pro hockey player and can't leave while his hockey contract is going so I've had to sneak into the country to see him as he cant come see me. It is brutal all this waiting. I'm crossing my fingers for you. I hope you've gotten some good news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gibby! Is he not allowed to even take short trips out of the country? At least when they are in off-season?? How horrible!

      No news still on our end. Just waiting and waiting... you know the drill :/ The average waiting time is up to about 13-14 months. Every couple of months it seems to creep up a little; in the past few weeks, more of the decisions have been coming at the 14 month mark. We're hoping to hear something in the next two months, but you find yourself never wanting to really get your hopes up. Ugh.

      Have you guys done your interview yet?

      Delete