Saturday, March 5, 2016

The moment I waited 13.5 months for: THE DECISION!

It has been a long, and over-joyously overwhelming week this week.  I feel like I have lived a full life just in the past 5 days!!

Monday February 29 2016, at 8:36am....
....a moment I have been waiting 13 months, 1 week and 6 days for finally came: Johan and I received our decision.  !!!  And I want to log every glorious, manic moment of this whole past week so that I can release it from my cluttered mind and revisit it when I am ready.

Earlier that morning...
The day started just like every other day of the previous several weeks: I woke up early (4:30am), picked up my phone, and scanned it for any signs of Johan screaming at me that we received the decision! (We had always assumed he would get an email or phone call at the same time as I would.) But, just like every other morning, there was nothing. Just a couple SnapChats and a few "I love you's".  My heart sank - just as it always would - that we didn't get any news; and I fell into the usual disappointment. I then scanned my phone and checked up on the 33 Facebook notifications I had, taking screenshots of all the decisions and interview email updates from the "I väntan på familjen" Facebook group so I could update the spreadsheet later in the morning when I logged onto work.

I waited for the clock to run down until I knew Johan could talk, and then I called him to say good morning.  I still had hope that maybe he had good news but was waiting to share with me when I woke up.  But - again - he did not.
"Still nothing?" I asked him.
"Well, I have good news and bad news." He said.  "The bad news is that we don't have a decision yet.  The good news is that I called Örebro again today and talked to the team leader.  She said that while she cannot tell us what day, she told us we would definitely be getting our decision this week."

My heart leaped straight out of my chest, up my throat and out of my mouth.  I remember starting to shake and cry almost immediately.  Between the hormones, the exhaustion, getting hit by a car, and the desperation of just needing this wait to be over, I have had very little control over avoiding breakdowns lately.  I had been strong for so long, holding everything together so tightly, but those final weeks were a wreck; everything inside of me was breaking down, and I was losing the will to suck it up and bring everything back together.

The moment the Infamous Decision was delivered
After we hung up the phone, I took a hopeful, anxious, impatient breath, and sat up.  After all, it was Monday morning and the show had to go on.  Eventually I rolled out of bed, walked over to my home office, logged on, and started working.

About an hour passed. Johan and I had just spoken shortly ago and I knew he was on his way home, and I also knew he wasn't quite home yet and was likely in the woods with no reception. So, when I saw him calling me on his regular cell line (and not WhatsApp), one million thoughts flooded my mind.  For some reason, in the flash of a second, I had it in my mind that he had possibly received news on our case, and that we maybe had the decision.  In the next flash of a second, I looked up at my internet browser to the tab that had my gmail open. It said I had 2,074 unread emails, and I knew that just a moment ago it had said 2,073.

The same second I answered his call, I clicked on the gmail tab of my web browser and there it was, top row, a new unread message:  A message from the Swedish Migration Board.

Understand, this all happened within fractions of a second.  I instantly started to sob the very second Johan answered the phone. I let everything go.  Everything in my body, heart, mind and soul released all in the flash of a moment, and the genuine heaving sobs I felt were so strong and so real and so unplanned for that I couldn't even breathe.  

I thought Johan knew; I thought he was calling me because he had received the same email.  I had expected him to do the talking.  But -- he didn't.  He hadn't received a single thing (turns out that since I never gave him Power of Attorney, only I -- as the non-EU original applicant -- was notified that a decision was made).  So you can imagine when he called me just to make sure I had gotten out of bed on time, and I answered whilst dry heaving on the other line of the phone and incapable of explaining was I was sobbing, that I completely and totally freaked him out.  He thought I had miscarried!!

Declaring the news to Johan!
I realized in that moment that I HAD to force words out of my mouth.  So, I mustered up all the pent up exasperation in my heart to say to Johan, "I got an email."
"From who? Migrations?!" He said with anxious disbelief.
"Yes.  And I'm too scared to open it."  I said.
"When did you get it??" He asked.
"Just right now, I thought you were calling to tell me we had got a decision, and when I went to answer the phone I checked my emails to see for myself."
"I was just calling to tell you I love you and make sure you had gotten up!" He said. "Have you opened the email? What does it say!? OPEN IT.!"
So I opened it.  The first whole half was in Swedish (and I thought the whole thing was in Swedish) so I screamed, "Give me a minute, I need to read it slowly!" He was like, "Forward it to me too!!" Hahahaha.


I knew that avgjorts meant "settled", and that's all I needed to see.  
"Johan...." I said while choking on my tears "....we have our decision."
What happened next...
We both simultaneously went back and forth between crying, and shocked silence.  It was a moment that was even more powerful than the day we got the pregnancy test results back 2 months ago.  I also ended up throwing up, I had gotten myself into such a fit.

But looking at the clock, I realized almost immediately that I had less than 30 minutes to call the Swedish Embassy in Washington D.C. before they closed for the day (you can only call to hear the results of your decision between 11am - 12pm east coast time.  WTF!)  So I immediately called, figured out the visa phone number, called that number, and sat on hold.  I was shaking and crying and couldn't control myself and I didn't WANT to control myself!

The poor woman who answered my call must have thought I was insane (I didn't even explain to her that I had only JUST received the decision).  All I could say was, "I am calling for the result of my application, my case number is ########." She looked it up, and I could hear a giggle in her voice because she knew how excited I was.
She said, "How long have you been waiting for?"
"13.5 months, and I'm pregnant - I am so sorry I can't control myself right now!"
"Well, I have good news - your decision is positive.  So, go pack your bags now.  Welcome to Sweden."
SOBBING.

MORE INCREDULOUS SOBBING.

I called Johan, and we both enjoyed such an overpowering feeling of relief and disbelief that we had made it.  Our time had finally come.  Everything we had fought so hard for, for the past 13.5 months, everything we had dreamed and fantasized about, cried in desperation over, and mustered all of our heart and soul to get through.... had finally come to an end.  

It is a feeling I cannot describe with human words.  And strangely enough, even 5 days later, I am still in shock and disbelief, with waves of unbelievable joy washing over me.  I go to bed thinking about it in my last moments of the day, and wake up with the unbelievable joy of the fortune before us every morning. It is a sensation that has not lost it's steam, has not lost its magic, and I can visit it at any point of the day (just like I had grown accustomed to visiting my pain every moment of every day for the past 13.5 months) to get a fresh drink of that fountain of happiness.

A few thoughts...
I had this feeling building up over the past 6 weeks that this process had done irreparable damage to me.  I began to fear that I had a permanent sleeping disorder, and also I feared that the decision would not bring me relief.  I felt like at the point I was at, I was so lost in my anger and pain that the decision would do nothing but remind me of how ruined I was on the inside.

But that was not the case; I was merely exhausted.  I had stretched myself too thin... between the pain, and being so involved in the process, and having a growing fetus that was demanding everything from me, I just simply had nothing left.  I wasn't breaking; I was just breaking down.  

In the immediate moments following the decision, I bounced right back.  I was like one of those small sponges crammed into a capsule and completely dehydrated... but the moment the capsule is dropped in water, I breaks free of the capsule and explodes into its normal free form.

I have slept every night this week without medication, my hair already seems to not be falling out so much, and I have had nothing but happy things to focus on.  

Which leads us to the following huge developments :)
On the Tuesday following our decision, I went into work early.  I arrived at 5:30a, grabbed my box of tissues, and walked right into my boss's office.  I sat down, and delivered a speech I had been envisioning for just as long as I had been waiting for the decision: that I planned on moving, and I planned on moving soon.

3 months and already showing! :O
I was hoping my work would let me continue after I departed, but my timing was bad; 3 other people left the company the week prior to my talk with the boss, and it was enough to be a catalyst for a re-organization. If they hadn't have left, I think things would have been much different. But my wonderful company, bless their hearts, agreed on a 4-month severance package, and gave me permission to leave when I wanted. The next morning, Johan and I booked my first (and last??) one-way ticket, scheduled for the last week of March.  Just a couple weeks away!!

My family had been anticipating this moment for a while, so my sister is organizing a baby shower for me that will double as a going away party.  We decided it was better for Johan to not fly out here to help me move -- partly because of cost, and the other part being that I have very little to bring with me.  My dad has agreed to buy my car (which is getting some damages fixed because of the car accident I was in).

It's crazy to think that within 24 hours, I had effectively quit my job and booked a one-way ticket for 2.5 weeks in the future, but.... that's what happened! All I have are 2 more doctor's appointments to check Little Boo's growth inside of me, and to pack a few suitcases.  I have already moved almost everything I own to Sweden through visits Johan and I did while we waited, so I really have just a little packing left to do.  My work is throwing me a going away party in about a week and a half, and my last day of work is the 18th!  Eeek!

I can't wait to write about the process going forward, after the decision.  And I still plan on maintaining the spreadsheet just as before, especially since I will be unemployed until Little Boo joins us in this world :)

And now... a celebratory parade of blooper photos of Johan and I over the years!
We have a lot of fun together :) <3 <3 <3 <3

29 comments:

  1. MEG! OMG Congratulations! For the pregnancy and of course the decision! I was actually JUST on the blog and noticed a new post and was kind of confused. I'm so glad I was able to see this post! I just spent the past few hours going through your entire blog and it has been so amazing. Thank you for the blog and I am so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AhhhH!! Thank you so much! I literally JUST posted this :) I got the decision on Monday, but this whole week has been an insane whirlwind of quitting my job, booking flights, breaking the news to people, going to doctor's appointments, blah blah blah... such an exciting week!! <3

      When did you apply? Let me know if you ever have any questions, I still intend to stick around for a long while to keep the spreadsheet updated for people who applied after me :)

      Delete
    2. I would imagine things are crazy right now, but in the best way! I guess everything feels fast now, right?

      I applied at the end of September, so it's been a bit over 5 months now. My boyfriend is visiting in two weeks for two weeks though, so that has been keeping me positive! Your post on the Science of Waiting (http://hejaherrljunga.blogspot.ca/2015/09/the-swedish-sambo-visa-in-2015-part-5.html) is super relatable to me and I'll make it in the end. I'm glad you posted about the Facebook Group as well and I'm sure that will help me in the process too.

      CONGRATS AGAIN!

      Delete
    3. Awww, that is so wonderful!! And that's what I tell everyone - focus on the visits during the wait, and make them as frequent as humanly possible... and this wait will seemingly fly by :) Before we had the stats, Johan and I could only just blindly rely on MV's website. And almost every month last year, the wait times got longer and longer and longer. Every time we visited each other, we thought it would be the last time we saw each other before we had the decision, so there was never any "next visit" to look forward to. Just suffering :( It wasn't until I started to compile the info that we realized how long we had left to wait, and scheduling trips became much easier and so exciting to look forward to!

      If you'd like, we also have an English-speaking support group on facebook with a LOT of September 2015 applicants. If you'd like to join, shoot me an email at uppehallstillstandstodgrupp@gmail.com, and I'll tell you how to access it (we have the group marked as Secret, so it can't be found easily on facebook). <3

      Delete
    4. Oh! And I just saw you shared your timeline on my other post, so I'll add you now :)

      Delete
  2. Dear Meg :) CONGRATS!!!

    I just started to read your blog in February! I am really happy to see your life goes big big forward after you waiting for 13.5 months!
    Best wishes to you and your baby !!!
    I am the Sambo Couple 580 (From Taiwan:D)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yu Fang!

      First of all, I'm so sorry for how long it took me to respond, I've been so busy wrapping things up at home and preparing for my move!

      I read your message though when you first wrote it, and it lifted my spirits so much :) Thank you for stopping by!!

      Delete
  3. Hi Meg, I have been reading your blog for quite some time now and I just wanted to congratulate you on your decision!:))) The wait has finally paid off and soon you'll be in Sweden with your love! Very happy for you, even though I don't know you haha. Thank you for all the detailed information you have shared with us here.
    Have a safe trip and keep up the excitement because it's soooo good for you :DDDDDD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there!!

      Thank you for stopping by and leaving such a sweet post! The last 3 weeks have been a whirlwind (hence my not responding to your comment until now) but ahhhh, it's all finally done. I need to get back online and post an update on all the stuff that comes AFTER the decision! :D

      Delete
  4. WOOOOW!!
    Meg, congratulations!! Seeing your positive decision as well as other people's positive decisions gives me hope!!
    Thank you again for all the positivity and hard work that you are doing on this blog. You play a part in saving me from the somewhat unknown.

    GiGi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you GiGi! It is so special to know that my crazy ramblings and insatiable love for spreadsheets has been able to touch so many lives. It makes me feel like all the pain and stress of it all was SO worth it.

      I hope the rest of your wait goes fast so you get the experience the joy of a positive decision so soon!!! <3

      Delete
  5. Congratulations! Or as they say in Sweden, Grattis! to you, to your couple and to the little person coming. A long wait indeed came to and end and now a new adventure starts.

    I have 12 months waiting. Hope I have a positive surprise in the weeks/months coming.

    Thank you again for the hard work in this blog. When you see all details here you find hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eddie!! I've been so busy wrapping things up before I moved, that I am very behind on responding to posts :O Has your decision come yet!??? I hope so!!!

      Delete
  6. Congratulations!!!!!!!!!! I am just about to start the process of the sambo visa (I'm in Australia and my boyfriend is in Sweden) and your blog has been such an amazing help to me so far. So thank you so much for all the time and effort you have put into this!
    All the best for a beautiful future with your new family! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Samara!! We have all fought long and hard in this process to have our voices heard, in the hopes that while it was probably too late to make a difference in our own waiting times, that perhaps the pressure could force change and hasten the process for those that came after us. So, I hope very much that you will find your wait much shorter than mine, and that the process is more improved and streamlined than ever before!! <3 <3 <3

      Delete
  7. Congrats Meg!!! I got my decision a while ago and have already moved to Sweden (also was in the i väntan på familjen group) but I have continued to check your blog and update on your story :) Grattis!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, how sweet!! Thank you so much for dropping by and saying hello. It truly means so much <3 I just completed my move 2 days ago (and now I'm catching up on comments here at kl 2 -- thanks, jet lag!!) and I feel like NOW the process is finally over and I can move on. I had no idea how insane actually packing everything and moving was going to be!! :O

      The best to you and your partner! <3

      Delete
  8. Hi Megan! First of all, huge congratulations!! I literally only discovered your blog yesterday while I was at work (I wish I'd found it a lot earlier), and sat down last night (and this morning) to follow your story from start to now.. It's been like binge-watching that TV series that you've been meaning to watch for ages - Now I've got to wait for the live updates, lol! I actually was a little teary eyed reading the bit where you guys finally got your decision :) - What an incredible journey!

    My fiancé and I only begun our own journey in mid-January, we'd been keeping in occasional contact with the Swedish-Consulate in New Zealand, and they had previously told us that there was no need to worry, that we would only need to apply around May or June to have a decision around Christmas (which is when we were planning to move) - Of course, this is before the migration crisis happened which has thrown many of the previous timeframes out the window, so when we did a bit more research around Christmas time last year for updates estimates, we were pretty shocked and applied as soon as we could (it didn't help that my passport was expiring within a year and by the time a decision was going to be made I'd need a new one).

    Anyhow, just wanted to say hi and thanks for the incredible resource, you've put in a huge amount of work and even though we thought we had a reasonable amount of idea about what we were in for, this really highlights and has helped give us a far better idea of the long (and likely/probably incredibly frustrating) journey ahead!

    All the best for the move and your new life in Sverige! Grattis och tack igen!

    Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeremy!! I'm so sorry it took me so long to respond to you, March was a terribly messy month for me LOL! Doctors appointments, packing, quitting work, selling things... yikes. Please accept my apologies! Have we added your information to the spreadsheet yet? Let me know if you'd like to contribute it and I'll get you guys up there. No pressure, of course! Also, let me know if you'd like to be connected to any of the online support groups we have. There is a larger English/Swedish-speaking one on facebook, and I also run a very small (approx. 125 people) English-speaking group, if you feel the extra support would be useful :)

      Delete
  9. Even though I already knew because I am in the Facebook group, I enjoyed your post a lot! Went through my own memories of how it happened to us as I was reading.

    First one way ticket for me too, isn't it funny how it costs basically the same as a round ticket? Or is it just me?


    I started a little blog too, to maybe document how things go when moving to Sweden. I don't know if I'll be able to keep it up, but since I don't share much on Facebook, maybe this is how I'll be able to keep some sort of log, for my own mental health.


    Thank you very much for all your help. We got our decision at exactly 13.5 months as your statistics predicted it would happen!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on both pregnancy and THE DECISION! I am so happy for you. I am not sure at this time you are already in Sweden or still in LA. But wherever you maybe I wish you all the best and lots of happiness. You are such a joy and blessing and warm person, full of positive energy, it is very contagious. Reading your blog posts and seeing your celebrity photos really brought happy tears to my eyes.

    I read your posts several weeks ago and bookmarked it to read it later soon I was in the middle of a crazy semester exam. At that time I was looking for answers online about the spouse/sambo visas and permits. I was not married at that time to my now husband. But we did got married two weeks ago :) but we are yet to apply. We will apply soon sometime this week.

    It's really so nice to know that you will still be around to answer questions to many. That is really very kind of you. I have a question or two myself about the entry to Sweden during the process after applying. I have a Finnish Residence Permit (Non EU citizen); so will it be a problem for me to keep coming to Sweden frequently before and after the application or anytime during the application is being processed, or after the interview etc.? This whole process is so consuming that even before applying, I have drained half my energy:(

    Congratulations once again!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Litta!

      Thank you so much for your kind words! Yes, you are absolutely free to come and go as you wish in Sweden so long as you abide by the tourist rules according to your passport (I don't think that having a foreign residence permit allows you to travel unlimitedly, but correct me if I'm wrong??) I actually wrote a long post about the rules of visiting Sweden, and the main gist of it is that you simply cannot be in the country at the time of the decision. I know that's hard to time, but if you follow the spreadsheet, you'll also have an idea of what the averages are running at. Here is the link re: rule for visiting Sweden during the process: http://hejaherrljunga.blogspot.se/2016/01/the-swedish-sambo-visa-in-20152016-part.html

      Also - I now have a question for you :) Any chance your partner lived in Finland, and possibly that's how you met? If so, I have an exception for you to look into that might decrease your waiting time!

      Delete
  11. Hey Megan!
    Congrats on all the crazy goodness that is happening in your life right now! I found your blog a few days ago and I have since 'binge-read' all of it. I applied back in June of 2015 for the Sambo visa and it has been incredibly painful to watch wait times increase and just feel so lost in this whole process. We were naive and thought that me coming from the US would make this process a breeze - oh boy did they prove us wrong. If it's a possibility I would love to connect with others going through this process on facebook - let me know :)
    Best wishes, good luck with your move, & Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah! You are definitely in good company - we ALL thought the same thing. Ugh. We would love to have you join our English-speaking support group! It is on facebook and it's "private" (we wanted to control how many members we got), so the only way for me to add you is to friend you on fb :) If you're ok with that, shoot me an email at uppehallstillstandstodgrupp@gmail.com and I'll send you a link :)

      Delete
  12. Yay! Grats!

    My application went in on the 22nd myself.. Hoping I don't go nuts too. Lol.

    Hope the pregnancy goes well. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Meg! I have been following your blog for quite some time now and I keep checking back every other day, or at least a few times a week. Congratulations on your decision! :)) I cannot even imagine what a huge sense of relief that must be! My sambo and I applied on March 23rd, and the current waiting times are 15-19 months :( So far, we only have a check number and no case officer. This makes me extremely anxious and ...well, just sad and frustrated really. While I'm sitting here writing this message from Sweden, trying to make the best of the time we have left together, it breaks my heart just to think about the waiting times right now... It really does hurt, like you've said, having your whole life 7000km away, waiting to happen. Best of luck with your life in Sweden!:))

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Meg!
    I really like your blog. Very informative and fun to read. I can very much relate to what I and my GF is going through.

    I have a question: Do you think the your pregnancy affected the decision? Did MV know that your were pregnant when they took the decision?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey anonymous! For us, I don't think so. We got the positive pregnancy test results the same day as our 1-year application anniversary. It also was my last day in Sweden before flying back home to the states for the rest of our wait. So, when I sent pictures of my passport to MV as proof that I had left Sweden (so as not to potentially delay my decision), I casually mentioned the pregnancy and offered to send in a doctor's certification that the pregnancy was real. But they told me not to bother. My decision came 1.5 months later for a total wait of 13.5 months, which was the exact average waiting time (at that time). MV says they will not prioritize pregnancies, however I have seen the following: one couple hired a lawyer and received a decision at 11.5 months of waiting (she was 8 months pregnant) after refusing to let her complete her wait within Sweden because she lived in the epicenter of the Zika virus outbreak last year. I also knew of one couple where the girl was from the states and had no access to health care and she got her decision in, I believe, 10 months (she was 7 months pregnant at the time). However, I know far more couples who heartbreakingly had a pregnancy and have birth in their home country alone, usually because either partner couldn't travel in time to be with them.

      (Gonna continue my answer in the next comment)...

      Delete
    2. Johan and I decided to try for a baby when we did because we knew the wait wouldn't be much longer, (and honestly, I wanted to get through the barfy first trimester away from him so he didn't have to see me as a hot mess) so we didn't make any special effort to force an early decision. So, I suppose there's always hope! But I think the only way they would reject a pregnant couple is if they don't meet the new maintenance requirements. Otherwise, they'll put the needs and safety of the baby before a rejection (if that's what you're referring to re: "affecting the decision")! :))

      Delete